Saturday, November 29, 2008

We are all hostages

The recent terror attacks in Mumbai have given rise to lots of discussions all around me.

The attack and its impact had not hit me on Thursday night when I saw the breaking news on television. I thought it was a gang war. Next day, however, I saw the papers and the vastness of the attack struck me.

Strangely, but truly, this was the time when I thought about my friends in Mumbai. My brother was safe, I knew that. But I began calling up my friends one by one. It was only when I had disconnected the last call did I actually feel bad. What was I doing? Just because my friends, my family was safe - it was okay with this? It’s common human mentality – my friend just told me.


No I am not okay with this. I can't let these terrorists hold my country as hostage. So much anger, hostility, aggression ... what has the world come to? And who are these men? Why are they attacking us? I was filled with a curiosity and sadness. What has led these young men to attack us? Were they confronted by crossroads in their lives and they have taken this way up? Or are they victims too themselves of hatred and this is their way of hitting back - taking revenge?

Many people around me have been blaming politicians. About their lack of unity, and the fact that they are making this very issue a topic of political debate and agenda. But I am asking these very people... did you even vote last year? If you thought that election day was a free day to go hang out with friends and watch movies - you have no bloody right to blame anybody. I am not supporting the politicians, I know exactly what they do, but the fact is that they are one of us. We, the people of India, have elected them and brought them to where they are. If the politicians make a mistake, if they are corrupted or they play hate politics - we are solely responsible. After all they can't do anything without our permission. Everyone was also asking about Raj Thackeray, where he was and what did he have to say about the UP-ites and Biharis in the front lines of the NSG and Army - who were bravely rescuing victims and fighting and risking their lives. Yes, they are right. But what they don't understand that it is not alone that Raj Thackeray had done this. He had support, from his party, from his youth wing who attend his rallies, for the men who the brawn of his battalion as it continues its divisive politics. Everyone has heard the story of how L. K. Advani wanted to go to Mumbai together with Manmohan Singh as a show of unity and solidarity. But that's exactly what it is - a 'show'. We are still not unified and the terrorists find it very easy to hit at a country already at war amongst itself. Aren't men like Raj Thackeray, terrorists? Don't they also hit at out country - at its unity and its secularism?

Headlines are screaming out - "We want our Mumbai back..." "The city that never sleeps hit by terror...."
Me?
I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK.

No comments: