A few days ago, I was talking to a friend who was telling me about the wonders that can be seen and experienced in a walk around our city completely alone at 2 or 3 a.m. in the morning. Of course what I realised was that as a female, I can't do it.
It struck me — frankly and stupidly - for the first time — as exceedingly horrifyingly unfair that women can't enjoy this pleasure, walking around a city alone in the soul-sleep hours after midnight, without fear. Unless and until women are free to wear whatever they want, as they choose, go wherever they want - without fearing attacks, we cannot be ever called a developed species. This happens not only in my city or country, but its a common problem throughout the world.
In a discussion I had on this topic, several people pointed out that it is sometimes caused because of women - they are the culprits. But I believe - this is NOT the problem of women. Not ever. This is your problem — the half of the species that is male. You have to take responsibility for it - immediately. You have to learn and understand that half of the human species lives in fear of the other half — sometimes all the time — and that the shame and disgrace for that is yours. And you men can and have to change it. You have to see that the right for women to be free and safe — safe from you, for God's sake — is not only a fundamental and non-negotiable human right, but also a first priority in any society.
1 comment:
i am so proud of you this is the truth.............i love u appu .........
Post a Comment